30.3.06

A seed

I got an idea, see? And I think it's a workable one, maybe even a good one. Dare to dream, could it be a great one?

If any of you have read Malcolm Gladwell's book, The Tipping Point, you'll know that he makes a pretty strong case for the societal effects of certain types of individuals. He calls them Connectors, Mavens and Salespeople. I won't go into detail here, other than to recommend the book. I bring it up because it gave me the glimmer of an idea.

I'm a Connector, you see. Just a few words will suffice to describe Connectors, they're those people we all know who just seem to know EVERYBODY. No matter where they go, they always seem to run into at least one friend. I've always been that person - I don't know why, and I'm not complaining. In fact, I just realized that the blog phenomenon is one of the best things that could happen to us Connectors. Now we can reach all our network of friends with ease.

But I'm digressing again.

Knowing that I'm a Connector, and realizing what an influence they can have over society, I've decided to take the Spiderman approach to it all. With great power comes great responsibility, and there are things that I can accomplish through my connections. At least I hope.

Here's the crux of the matter. I know that the situation with the climate is getting very bad, and we all have to take ownership and help out to change that, or quite frankly, we're doomed. Just a few days after reading The Tipping Point, I heard an interview on CBC with Tim Flannery, the author of The Weather Makers. I haven't read the book yet, but he made a lot of sense on when he was talking. I've decided to read the book, and, if it's as good as the critics are saying, and as effective, I plan to start buying additional copies and giving them away to friends and acquaintances. Maybe I can assist in spreading this important message.

Well, that all sounded very righteous and noble. I do really mean it, without any bluster. I just wanted to document the plan as it grows. Who knows, maybe you'll be the next one to get one. Let me know if you are interested.

0 Comments:

Skrifa ummæli

<< Home